Friday, November 21, 2008

Sustainability vs. Detroit

I have really tried to keep the Mrs. Green message away from politics. I want to focus on what we can all do to make positive changes. There are times, however, when I have to take a stand on something I believe is really important and this is one of those times.

When I watched this latest clip from my friend Janet about Tesla and Arnold Schwarzenegger, something kind of snapped inside of me. Wasn’t anyone in Detroit reading the paper about the energy crisis? About the success that car manufacturers like Honda have had for years here in the good old US of A with their fuel-efficient, well made cars? Did they not know there are awaiting lists to buy the Honda Fit and that this is nothing new? Could they not figure out that sustainable business practices make sense and make money? Some of “those people” make ten million dollars a year in bonuses alone. Is it not part of their job descriptions to be fiscally responsible, to have solid five year business plans which include a balance sheet indicating a profit? I guess not.

The part in the video where I snapped was when Arnold talked about Tesla Motors being a relatively new company and getting it! What were they reading that the brain trusts in Detroit were not? What did they know that Detroit didn’t? Maybe the Tesla management had a crystal ball…

I am one of many Americans who says don’t bail them out because I don’t want to pay for it nor do I want my children to have to pay for it! I am fed up – that’s the truth. It’s actually a disgrace and a mess that will impact us all regardless of what decisions are made in Washington.

http://fora.tv/2008/09/26/Arnold_Schwarzenegger_to_Detroit_Get_Off_Your_Butt

Hope you will check out Arnold’s brief and humorous comments! And then call your elected officials. Mine are going to be very surprised by the side I am taking on this one!

No comments: